Following are some of the simple tips for swelling feet during pregnancy:
- Walking for half an hour per day is good. Keep your feet moving. This is a very sure way of preventing the accumulation of fluids in the feet.
- Eat protein rich foods like pulses, milk products, and fish.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins, calcium, potassium, and zinc.
- Eat green vegetable like spinach (palak), beans, and cabbage and fruits like papaya, apple, and guava.
- Regularly do yoga as it improves blood circulations and reduces swelling of feet during pregnancy. Pranayama is also beneficial for body and mind.
- Drink plenty of water when you are pregnant. Water is a natural therapy to flush out the excess toxins from the body.
- Do not keep yourself in a standing position for long periods of time. This gives direct access for the fluids to enter into the lower parts of the body and cause the feet to swell up.
- Put some elevated support for the feet, such as propping them up on cushions or pillows, so that the fluid does not accumulate into the feet region.
- Do not eat foods having excessive salt content.
- Massage your feet and hand for 5-10 minutes. This relaxes you and reduces swelling of feet.
- Do not take tea, coffee, and avoid heavy physical activities during pregnancy as it reduces the swelling of feet and ankles.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol during pregnancy.
- Wear comfortable footwear to avoid foot pain.
- Keep your feet in the lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes. This will relax your feet and reduce swelling.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for swelling feet during pregnancy:
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh lime juice in one glass of lukewarm water and drink this liquid everyday. This is an effective home remedy in reducing swelling of feet during pregnancy.
- Prepare a fresh glass of buttermilk from curd and drink 2-3 times a day. Buttermilk is a healthy drink for reducing swelling of feet during pregnancy. It cleans the toxic substance within the stomach and helps in digestion.
- Vitamin E-rich food is good for patients suffering from swelling of feet during pregnancy. Foods rich in vitamin C are spinach, almond oil, sweet potato, sunflower seeds and wheat germs.
- Lecithin seeds are used in the treatment of swelling of feet during pregnancy. Take 3-4 tablespoon of lecithin seeds every day for 2-3 month. This will show positive effect within 2-3 months.
- Sesame (til) seeds are also effective in treating swelling of feet during pregnancy. Take 15-20 sesame seeds and soak in a glass of water. Keep it overnight and drink in empty stomach early in the morning.
- Add a teaspoonful of palm sugar in two cups of water. Then add two teaspoons of fennel seeds to it. Boil this mixture till it reduces to half. Drink this mixture thrice in a day. It will help protect the feet from getting swollen.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for swelling feet during pregnancy:
- Bitter gourd (karela) juice is useful herbal remedy for the treatment of swelling of feet during pregnancy. Take 1-2 cup of bitter gourd juice in empty stomach in the morning. Continue this for 5-6 months. Patient may add a tablespoon of lime juice, if found difficult to digest the bitter taste.
- Boil 1-2 glass of water containing two teaspoon Coriander (dhania) seeds and boiled it until it reduces to half. Drink this one-two time for two-three days.