Following are some of the simple tips for stretch marks:
- Include foods that contain sufficient amount of vitamin E such as carrots, tomatoes, hazelnut, soybeans, pollards, corn, asparagus and oatmeal. It is also present in several oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil, wheat germ oil, walnut oil and peanut oil.
- You diet should also contain good amounts of vitamin C to maintain the water content of the body. This can be obtained from fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, which must be taken in a minimum cooked form.
- Do not eat sour and pungent foods. Also avoid saturated fats in excess, because they can cause excessive stretching of the skin, and also lead to obesity.
- Eat seeds and nuts that are rich in mineral content, especially zinc to tone up the skin during pregnancy.
- Keep the water content of the skin high in order to maintain its suppleness. When pregnant, the woman must drink at least 6-8 glasses of water in a daily routine.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for stretch marks:
- Cocoa butter is very effective in preventing pregnancy stretch marks. Apply this butter on the skin every night when you are pregnant. It has much more benefits if it is applied directly after a warm shower because it opens up the pores of the skin and helps it to permeate better.
- Rubbing hips and abdomen gently using warm olive (jetun) oil to improve blood circulation and minimize stretch marks.
- Massage stomach, hip, and breast using lavender oil; this minimizes stretch marks.
- Take small amount of almond (badaam) oil, mix half teaspoon chamomile oil and lavender oil each in it and apply on your stretch marks. This is very beneficial in minimizing stretch marks.
- Rub your hip and abdomen using flaxseed oil. This is also very helpful in removing stretch marks.
- Rub vitamin E rich oil such as olive oil or castor oil onto the belly every night. Use some aromatic herbs like mint, lemon grass, lavender, thyme, etc., make a paste of them with the oil and apply them onto the belly for better effects. The massage must be done for about 20 minutes every night while retiring to bed. Even if this is done after the birth, it helps the stretch marks to subside after a few weeks.
- A massage to abdomens, breast, and hips using cod liver oil is also useful in removing stretch marks.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for stretch marks:
- Gotu kola is extensively used for healing stretch marks and other cosmetic problems of the skin. It is an important ingredient in several pharmaceutical preparations for the treatment of stretch marks.
- Margosa (neem) is also used to prevent itches and abscesses that can be caused during pregnancy. It is an effective herbal remedy for stretch marks.
- Sandalwood (chandana) has a cooling effect on the skin. It protects the skin from stretching extensively during pregnancy.
- Make an herbal solution using one tablespoon wheat germ oil and one tablespoon calendula oil, then apply on hips, abdomen, and breast regions. This minimizes the stretch marks caused because of pregnancy or overweight.
- Indian madder (manjishtha) is very effective in the treatment of skin problems such as stretch marks. It also prevents skin ulcers.
- Holy basil (tulsi) is commonly used in the prevention of bleeding of tissue, stretch marks and scarring that can occur during pregnancy.
- Apply aloe vera gel regularly during your pregnancy months. This will protect you from gaining pregnancy marks later on.