Following are some of the simple tips for sprain:
- Take some mineral rich foods like banana before going to bed in order to protect yourself from sprains.
- Drink plenty of water when the sprain comes on, preferably with lemon juice in it. Orange juice is also helpful in maintaining the water content of the body.
- Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates. Instead, have a cup of warm milk before going to bed.
- In case of regular sprains, get them checked by the doctor. It is indicative of some circulatory problems in your legs.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for sprain:
- Onion is an effective home remedy for treating sprain. Cut 2-3 onions into small pieces, wrap it in a perforated cotton cloth. Put it over the sprained area for 2-3 hours. Repeat this 3-4 times a day for a week.
- You can try this easy home remedy to get relief from sprain. Apply warm mustard oil on the affected area and then have a warm water bath.
- Dip a towel in ice-cold water and tie it around the sprained muscle. The cold temperature will make the muscle numb and make the sprain go away.
- Raw pineapple or pineapple extract is another useful home remedy for sprain. However, some people experience itching in their mouth with pineapple. They are requested not to go for this remedy.
- Almond oil is used for treating sprain. Prepare a mixture of equal amount (2-3 tablespoon) of almond oil and garlic extract. Apply this mixture over the affected area. Massage after every 3-4 hours for a week.
- Take thick outer layer of cabbage and boil in water till it softens. Wrap this boiled cabbage in perforated cotton cloth and put it over the sprained muscles for 2-3 hours. This will reduce the pain.
- Turmeric is also commonly used home remedy for sprain. Take 2-3 tablespoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk or water. Take the powder in water in empty stomach early in the morning.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for sprain:
- Ginger has painkilling properties. Rub ginger paste on the sprained part. It is an effective herbal remedy for sprain.
- Hyssop is another important herbal remedy for several muscular problems, including sprains. Made a paste of the entire herb and apply externally to the affected area.
- Liquorice is very useful in treating muscular aches and sprains. Its roots are soaked in water overnight and this infusion is applied on the affected parts.
- Make turmeric paste mixed with lime and salt. This is applied on the sprained muscles. It gives easy relief from sprains and muscular cramps.
- Clove oil is commonly used in the treatment of sprains and muscular cramps. It is made into a poultice and applied on the affected parts.