Shingles are caused due to the action of the chicken pox virus called varicella zoster. This painful condition is due to the recurrence of the virus after one has suffered from chicken pox. The virus remains dormant within the body even after the person is cured of chicken pox and years after on suitable conditions or due to low immunity levels, it reappears in the form of Shingles. More than 50% of the Shingles cases are found in persons above 60 years of age.
Painful rashes appear in the initial stage as red spots which later turns into blisters. They appear particularly in one side of the body like the trunk, face or the buttocks with itching and tingling sensation of the nerves followed by unbearable pain. Sometimes the head, limbs and eyes are also affected The blister may last for a couple of days or weeks before drying and falling off as crusts leaving a scar on the skin.
1. The dormant virus starts functioning when there is a drastic fall in the body immunity system.
2. Persons suffering from chronic illness.
3. Too much stress.
4. Radiotherapy treatments.
Home Remedies for Shingles
Simple natural remedies provide great relief from the pain due to the Shingles.
1. Applying cold water dressing on the affected areas reduces the pain and provides relief.
2. Calamine lotions have anti itching properties and application of it reduces the itching to a great extent and also helps in removing the scars.
3. It is advisable to wear lose fitting cotton clothes so that the blisters don't remain in humid conditions.
4. Applying a solution of half cup apple cider vinegar in 1 cup water with cotton pads by gentle upward movement provides great relief from pain and itching.
5. The blisters, if infected can be washed with hydrogen peroxide solution.
6. A solution of aloe vera gel, honey and leek juice applied on the rash reduces the tingling and burning sensations.
7. Food rich in amino acids such as chocolates, nuts, seeds and cereals must be avoided.
8. You can also try this simple home remedy for shingles. Applying a sponge of Vitamin E oil, apple cider vinegar, mug or peppermint tea is good for treating the rashes and blisters.
9. Having bath with oatmeal soaps has a soothing effect on the burning sensation of the rashes.
10. Applying ice pack in short durations for 3-4 minutes relieves the pain.
11. Application of a mixture of cayenne pepper and aloe vera gel on the rashes reduces the pain immediately. It is useful home remedy for shingles.
12. Eating plenty of fruits rich in Vitamin C boosts the immunity system and retards the action of the virus.
13. Pear has antiviral caffeic acid and so taking a good amount of its juice is beneficial in curing Shingles.