Psoriasis is a dermatological disorder that turns out to be chronic in many cases. In this disease the skin cells grow rapidly giving red and flaky patches and silvery appearance. This is observed mostly in the elbows, trunk and knees, but other parts of the body like underarms and genital areas may also get affected by the disease. The skin becomes itchy and painful with periodic reappearances. Nails are also affected by the disease and it has the tendency to run through generations. Both men and women between 15-35 years of ages are mostly affected by the disease.
There is no well defined cause for Psoriasis. It may result from a single cause or due to the combination of many. The causes can be summed up as follows -
1. Mutations in genes can result in Psoriasis.
2. After effects of certain drugs.
3. The T-cells produced by the White Blood Cells releases some chemicals that trigger off the fast multiplication of skin cells causing Psoriasis.
4. Some kind of infections.
6. Too much mental stress.
Red and flaky skin followed by itching and irritation.
Home Remedies for Psoriasis
1. It is highly recommendable to take a balanced diet including fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains to boost the immunity system.
2. Taking regular sea baths or applying sea water is excellent natural remedy for psoriasis.
3. Taking Epsom salt bath and applying castor oil after the bath is good to reduce the skin irritations of psoriasis.
4. Taking a cup of bitter gourd juice mixed with lime early morning in empty stomach is a good home remedy for psoriasis.
5. Moderate sunbathing is also a good natural remedy for psoriasis.
6. Application of mudpacks on the affected areas removes the toxins reducing the irritations due to psoriasis.
7. Application of Aloe vera gel and cream are highly beneficial in treating psoriasis.
8. It is better to avoid any cosmetic lotions or moisturizers as the chemicals may aggravate the disease.
9. Applying a mixture of 1 teaspoon wheat germ oil and 1 teaspoon of castor oil in a cup of sunflower oil on the affected areas is beneficial in treating psoriasis.
10. The cabbage leaves after removing the thick veins and washing can be compressed on the affected areas to get some relief.
11. Deep breathing and relaxing exercises must be performed to reduce the stress.
12. Application of cashew nut oil after thorough washing of the affected areas at night helps in reducing psoriasis.
13. Avoiding tea, coffee and processed foods help in treating the disease.