Each and every person undergoes through the problem of muscle cramps at least once in the life time. Usually when you bend down to lift some heavy objects, your back gets hurt. When you stretch your arm to reach something which is placed on a shelf at height, your arm gets tightens. Some of these movements are responsible for contraction of muscles which enable you to move as well as leave you breathless with pain.
Commonly the muscle cramps affect legs, arms and back. The problem of muscle cramps may be caused due to injury or dehydration, due to muscle overuse or strain, sitting in the same position for too long and also after a prolonged period of inactivity.
There are some self-care methods which you can even apply at your home. Some of the popular home remedies for muscle cramps -
1. You can also rub an ice pack over the affected area at least for 10 minutes. Alternate to this remedy you can apply heating pad also to relax and also to stimulate circulation of blood to muscles.
2. Hot shower or a warm bath is also effective in treating the problem of muscular cramps. Use the water for bath as hot as you can bear and also allow the hot water to flow through the cramped areas while bathing. This will help you to relax your affected muscles.
3. Muscle cramps may also be due to the lack of healthy diet. If there are frequent muscle cramps then it is sure that you are lacking certain vitamins, minerals, calcium and potassium in your diet. So make a habit to take a diet with high calcium foods like yoghurt and skim milk. In addition to this you must include bananas and potatoes in your diet so that it will help you in increasing your potassium level. Make a balanced diet plan after consulting your nutritionist or doctor.
4. One of the common causes of muscle cramps is dehydration. So make a habit to drink plenty of water throughout the day so that the lost fluids may be replenished continuously.
5. Chamomile tea and honey is also very effective home remedy for treating muscle cramps. Chamomile tea relaxes the muscles as it contains an amino acid known as glycine. In order to relieve from muscle cramps, drink five cups for daily and at least for two weeks. Honey is also helpful in preventing recurring foot and leg cramps especially during night.