Following are some of the simple tips for psoriasis:
- Do not eat hot, spicy and pungent foods. They are difficult to digest and cause toxins in the blood. When the toxins build up in the body, the psoriasis can spread to a great extent.
- Avoid salts and curds as they can inflame the skin further. They will cause greater itching and hence more discomfort. Rock salt can be taken in small quantities for flavoring, but not the salt readily available in the market.
- Include green vegetables, cucumber, carrot, fruits as they are good for psoriasis patient. Fruits that are beneficial in curing psoriasis are beets, grapes, cucumber, etc.
- Patient should take bath in sea water. It is very good for the treatment of psoriasis.
- Bath in Epsom salt or oatmeal containing water is also recommended. Do not use chemical-based soaps as it will make the problem severe and painful.
- Do not bath too much. Always dry your body with soft, clean towel after bath.
- Reduce your intake of fats, animal proteins and sugars.
- Include bitter taste foods in your diet like bitter gourd and the bitter variety of drumstick. These foods help in purifying the blood and also facilitate the kidneys to flush out the toxins from the blood.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for psoriasis:
- Take small amount of almond powder and boil it thoroughly in water. This is used for external application on the affected part. Keep it overnight and wash it next day with water.
- Add one teaspoonful of sandalwood powder in three cups of water. Boil it till it is reduced to one-third the quantity. Add some rose water and sugar to it. Take this thrice a day. It is very effective home remedy for psoriasis.
- Cabbage is very common home remedy for the treatment of psoriasis. Take the outermost layer of a cabbage, clean it using warm water. Rinse all the extra water by pressing between a towel. Once the leaf is dried, spread it on the slab, and flatten it by pressing with hand. Warm the leaf and gently cover it over the infected area. Cover it with a clean cloth. This process should be repeated for 3-4 times a day for the period when the infected area is not fully recovered.
- Boil some soap nut (shikakai) in water and apply on the affected parts. This will also gives relief from psoriasis.
- Cover a fresh thin banana leaf on the affected part. This is very effective in curing psoriasis.
- Make a dilute solution of lime juice with water. Apply this externally on the psoriatic patches.
- Cabbage soup is also an effective home remedy for psoriasis. Drink one bowl of it everyday.
- Prepare a fresh glass of buttermilk from curd and drink 2-3 times a day. This is a healthy drink for psoriasis patient and helps in digestion and cleans the toxic substance within the stomach.
- Sesame seeds (til) are also used for the treatment of various skin-related diseases. Take 15-20 sesame seeds and soak in a glass of water. Keep it overnight and drink in empty stomach early in the morning.
- Include Vitamin E-rich food in the diet of the patients suffering from psoriasis such as spinach, almond oil, sweet potato, sunflower seeds, and wheat germs.
- Bitter gourd juice is also used in psoriasis. It is an effective home remedy for the treatment of psoriasis. Give 1-2 cup of bitter gourd juice to the patient suffering from psoriasis in empty stomach in the morning. Continue this for 5-6 months. Patient may add a tablespoon of lime juice, if found difficult to digest the bitter taste.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for psoriasis:
- The flowers of the jasmine have beneficial effects in the treatment of psoriasis. The flowers are crushed, made into a paste and are directly applied on the inflamed parts. This application reduces the pain and the itchiness of psoriatic inflammations.
- Garlic is a natural blood purifier. Eat few garlic cloves every morning on an empty stomach. It will filter the toxins out of the blood and provides protection against psoriasis.
- Black nightshade is used in the treatment of psoriasis. The juice of the black nightshade leaves can be applied locally on the psoriasis affected regions. It helps in reducing the inflammation of the skin, and has beneficial properties in allaying the pain and the itch.
- Onion has also blood purifying properties. It must be included in the diet of a person suffering from psoriasis.