Following are some of the simple tips for menstruation:
- Avoid foods that may cause constipation, especially in the last week of the menstrual cycle. This includes fried foods, sour foods and protein-rich pulses.
- Fish is a good dietary indication for painful periods. Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids which help to ease the spasms during menstruation.
- Avoid meat, poultry and dairy products.
- Healthy food habit and exercise and yoga help in solving menstrual problems.
- Iron rich food is also important for women suffering from anemia.
- Vegetables such as white pumpkin, papaya, drumstick, snake gourd, bitter gourd and cucumber are good for dysmenorrhea. Potato, yellow pumpkin and eggplant must be avoided.
Home Remedies for Menstrual Problems
Following are some of the effective home remedies for menstrual problems:
- Parsley (ajmoda) is an easy and effective home remedy for the treatment of menstruation. This is useful for women who either have painful or no menstrual flow. The muscles in uterus contracts due to severe pain during menstruation, and this later cause irregular blood flow. Patient should take 1/2 cup of parsley juice. This juice can be taken with other vegetable extracts like carrot juice.
- Women with anemia suffer a lot during menstruation period. Sesame seeds (til) are good home remedy for relief from severe pain during the menstruation period. It also increases the blood release during menstruation. Take 1-2 teaspoon of sesame seeds in a glass of water and boil it. Allow it to stand for some time, strain the mixture. Drink this mixture one to two times a day.
- Add some sesame seeds in a glassful of water. Drink this twice daily when you have menstrual pains.
- Papaya is helpful in treating menstrual problems. Women (especially young females) suffering from poor flow of blood during their menstrual period or those who experience severe pain during this period should eat raw papaya. Papaya helps in proper functioning of the muscles of the uterus, which enable the proper flow of blood.
- Banana is another useful fruit during the menstruation period. Women suffering from excess bleeding and severe pain at the back and stomach should take banana leaf, cooked in little oil, with curd. This gives fast relief from pain and also controls the excessive blood flow.
- You can also try this easy and effective home remedy for menstrual pain. Prepare a mixture of coriander (dhania) seeds and water by adding 15-20 seeds in a glass of boiling water. Boil the mixture until half the water is evaporated. Allow it to stand for some time and drink. You can add little sugar in it as this mixture is bitter in taste. This will give fast relief from menstrual pain and also controls excess blood flow.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for menstrual problems:
- Asoka is used to get relief from menstruation pain. The bark of the asoka tree is given to women who experience extreme blood loss during menstruation due to leucorrhea or uterine fibroids. It has a stimulating effect on the uterine wall and the mucus layer in the reproductive tract.
- Bamboo leaves are prescribed for menstruation pain. Regular consumption of the leaves of the bamboo is prescribed to promote and regulate the menstrual flow.
- A decoction of bloodwort is used to correct irregular periods. Its oil is also used in the treatment of female reproductive disorders.
- Another useful herbal remedy for menstrual problems is chicory. Seeds of chicory are prepared into a decoction to treat problems of obstructed menstruation.
- Dill herb is efficient in stimulating menstrual cycles. It helps women who have delayed periods to get their periods on time. Young anemic girls are prone to spasmodic menstruation, which can be quite painful. A decoction of dill is prepared with the leaves of parsley to treat such problems.
- Indian Spikenard (jatamansi) is a very useful herb in the treatment of painful and irregular periods.
- Asafoetida is very useful in increasing the secretion of the female hormone, progesterone. Thus it facilitates menstruation. Fry asafetida gum in ghee and mixed with goat’s milk and a spoonful of honey for a month. This will reduce the pains during menstruation and also make the flow reduced.
- Lemon grass is also beneficial in painful and difficult menstruation. It can be taken in the form of a tea.
- Sometimes cold climates also cause painful and irregular periods. An infusion of ginger sweetened with sugar is taken for correcting such problems.
- The Indian aloe is a stimulant of the uterus. Hence it is given in cases of painful menstruation.
- Marigold is another useful herb that is very effective for the menstruation-related problems. Women suffering from severe pain during this period should take 1-2 tablespoon of marigold extract two times a day. This also regulates the blood flow during menstruation.