Following are some of the simple tips for malaria:
- Do not allow water to stagnate anywhere. This will allow Anopheles mosquito to spread. Water bodies should be sprayed with mosquito repellant sprays.
- Keep your home airy, clean, dry, and hygienic. By this mosquitoes are discouraged from entering your house. Use detol, phenyl, etc. for cleaning house and toilets.
- Wear long pants and full-sleeved shirts while traveling in a tropical area.
- Use mosquito repellants while sleeping. In case you are allergic to the mosquito repellant, then you can use bed nets or mosquito nets.
- Take a light diet without much cooking and without much oil and spices.
- Include green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- Eat protein foods as they provide the energy required for your body's repair.
- Use old rice instead of new rice.
- Don't eat any lentils during malarial fevers. They take a long time to digest and also produce gas in the body; thus aggravating symptoms.
- Soft drink, chocolates, etc. should strictly be avoided.
- Do not include cold foods in the diet such as cucumber, orange, papaya, bananas, watermelons, etc.
- Do not consume any nuts during malarial fevers, especially groundnuts as they contain a lot of oil.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for malaria:
- Lemon juice is very useful in the treatment of malaria. Take 2-3 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix in half cup of water. Take this mixture during the initial stage of fever.
- Grapefruit (chakutra) is another useful remedy for malaria. Patient should be given raw grapefruit or its juice.
- Other fruits that are beneficial for patient suffering from malaria are apple, orange, etc. If patient cannot eat these fruits, freshly prepared fruit juice should be given.
- Give liquid foods to the person suffering from malaria. Boiled rice, with boiled vegetables, rice cooked with pulse (khichdi) should be given. These are easily digestible.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for malaria:
- Ginger is commonly used for the treatment of malaria. Take a small piece of ginger and 2-3 teaspoon raisins. Add this to a glass of water and boil it till the constituent become half. Allow it to cool and give to the patient.
- Basil (tulsi) leaves are an effective home remedies for malaria. Take 12-15 basil leaves and extract its juice. Add 1-2 tablespoon of black pepper powder to it. Patients who are in initial stage of malaria find very much relief with this mixture. The medicinal property of basal leaves kills the malarial effect and reduces its severity. You can also give basil leaves extract with honey to the patient. This has also a very strong effect in curing malaria.
- Cinnamon and clove powder are useful remedies for the treatment of malaria. Take 2-3 teaspoon of finely powdered cloves and cinnamon and mix in a glass of water. Boil this until the constituent become half. Allow it to cool and add little amount of black pepper or honey to it. Give this mixture 2-3 times a day to the patient.