Following are some of the simple tips for jaundice:
- Avoid non-vegetarian foods at least till the effects of the jaundice last on the skin. Do not take even heavy vegetarian foods. The reason is that the liver needs to produce more bile to digest these heavy foodstuffs and this could alleviate the pigmentation of the skin.
- Completely restrict your intake of junk food such as chocolate, cakes, pastries, potato chips, ice-creams, colas and other aerated drinks, etc.
- Always drink water that is filtered or boiled. Do not drink raw milk.
- Do not eat sea foods especially oysters, unless you are sure they have come from a reliable source.
- Take simple food for the first three days of the jaundice affliction. Have a meal of porridge, especially rice gruel (kanji). You can flavor it with jaggery syrup or honey.
- There must be a complete abstinence of salt as it is a mineral and requires a difficult digestion process.
- Do not give cereals and pulses to the patient as they cause inflammation in the liver. Grapes, black soya beans, nuts, sweet potatoes are the fruits that are beneficial in jaundice.
- Vegetable salad of tomato, carrot, radish and its leaves, and two-three slices of lemon are very good for health and very effective in curing jaundice in a natural way.
- It is advised for the patient suffering with jaundice to take proper rest and drink fruit juices.
- Bitter vegetables like bitter gourd and the bitter variety of drumsticks are beneficial to the jaundice patient.
- Alcohol is very harmful to the jaundice patient. It can complicate the disease with fatal consequences. Hence say a strict no to alcohol.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for jaundice:
- Add one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of papaya leaves paste. Take this regularly for one-two week. It is very effective home remedy for jaundice.
- Take 10-15 basil leaves (tulsi) and make its paste. Add half glass of freshly made radish juice to it. Take this every day for at least two-three weeks. It is commonly used home remedy for jaundice.
- Barley water is very effective in treating jaundice. It is light and easily digested and can be easily given to the patient.
- Gooseberry (amla) is very beneficial in curing jaundice as it is rich in Vitamin C that is highly needed to the jaundice patients.
- Drink lemon juice regularly. It will help to cure jaundice naturally.
- Take 7-10 dry leaves of snake gourd (chachinga) and boil in a cup of water. Keep the solution aside, next boil 10-15 coriander seeds in half liter water. Give the mixture of snake gourd along with coriander solution three times a day. It is natural cure for jaundice.
- Patient suffering from jaundice should drink one glass of sugarcane juice 2-3 times a day. It is very beneficial in curing jaundice.
- Prepare a juice of leaves of radish. Drink half glass of this juice daily. It keeps the bowel movement normal and helps in curing jaundice.
- You can also give warm water containing turmeric to the patient suffering from jaundice. It is very useful home remedy for jaundice. Take one glass of warm water and mix a pinch of turmeric in it, stir well and drink this safe drink 3-4 times in a day.
- Make a cupful of juice of beetroot and lemon in equal proportions. This juice taken for a few days will definitely cure jaundice.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for jaundice:
- Jaundice berry is a useful herb for all kinds of liver ailments, especially jaundice. It is a bitter tonic which must be given to a jaundice patient several times a day in does of quarter teaspoons.
- Indian aloe is also used in liver problems such as jaundice. For good results, the pulp of one of its leaves is to be taken with black salt and ginger every morning for a period of ten days.
- Indian Sorrel is also beneficial in treatment of jaundice. It is taken with buttermilk that is prepared from cow’s milk.
- Another useful herbal remedy for treating jaundice is chicory plant. All parts of the chicory plant is useful in the treatment of liver ailments. The flowers, seeds and roots are the most often used. The juice of the chicory can help in the treatment of sluggishness of the liver, obstruction of the flow of bile and the enlargement of the spleen; all of which are associated with jaundice. It also promotes the healthy secretion of the bile.