Constipation is one of the most embarrassing and irritable situation that we face in our daily life. It occurs when we have fewer than three bowel movements a week. Constipation can occur to anyone.
There are several causes of constipation, many having to do with diet. Some common constipation causes are -
- Lack of exercise that is a common cause of constipation in the elderly
- Lack of fiber food in the diet
- Certain diseases and illnesses may also cause constipation, especially those illnesses, such as stroke, that causes improper functioning of your body parts
- Constipation is also caused by repeatedly ignoring the body's urge to defecate
- Certain medications may lead to constipation as a side effect
- Dairy products like milk and cheese often cause constipation
- Lack of fluids results in dehydration and causes constipation
- Irregular eating pattern also promote constipation. One can avoid constipation by eating regular meals at around the same time each day
- Lack of rest may also result in constipation
- Sometimes stress, nervousness, tension, and worry often cause constipation
In several cases, constipation occurs due to certain medications. If constipation is a side effect of a medication, this should be discussed with your physician. Some medications that may cause constipation are:
- Antiparkinson drugs
- Pain Medications
- Iron Supplements
- Blood Pressure Medications
In some cases, constipation occurs as a side effect of the disease. Some of the diseases that can cause constipation are:
- Metabolic and endocrine conditions such as poor glycemic control, hypothyroidism, uremia, diabetes and hypercalcemia
- Neurological disorders such as spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis, stroke, Parkinson's Disease and chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction
- Systemic disorders such as lupus, amyloidosis and scleroderma
- Intestinal Obstruction
- Adhesions or scar tissue
- Hirschsprung's Disease
Other common causes of constipation are lack of healthy diet and physical exercises. It is essential to maintain a healthy diet as well as a regular exercise regimen in order to minimize the chances of constipation and other serious diseases.
You should eat a healthy diet on the same schedule each day. Chew your food well so that the digestive system does not have to work harder than is necessary.
Change in your routine or your life may cause constipation. Pregnancy, traveling, periods of high stress or depression, and the natural aging process are other important factors that may cause constipation.
Sometimes constipation occurs when you take laxatives when you are not actually constipated. By taking laxatives when you are not constipated, you are making your digestive system dependent on laxatives in order to complete the natural digestive cycle. So take care of this in order to avoid constipation.
You can avoid constipation easily by listening to your body, eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and in general, doing everything you can to make it easier for your digestive system to operate normally and naturally.
I hope I have discussed all the major causes of constipation in this article. You can avoid constipation by taking care of some very simple guidelines discussed in this article. So, take care of your diet and live a healthy life.
Nick Mutt is an active writer on alternative health and has published many ebooks on natural health. You can find information on Home Remedies for Constipation at www.home-remedies-guide.com