Hair does not have any significant contribution in the functioning of our body system, but losing it in considerable amounts does evoke lot of worries and stress for both men and women. The healthy and lustrous tresses contribute a lot in creating an impressive appearance in women and there lies the reason for this cosmetic concern. Hair loss is common in both males and females after a certain age, and the shedding-growing process continues throughout the life. But if the balance in shedding and growing is disrupted to a great extent, it eventually ends in alopecia or baldness in men and thinning of hair in women.
In treating hair loss, stress should be given in nourishing the follicles, the root of the hair growth. Papilla, the soft undergrowth of the follicle converts the amino acids into proteins called Keratin that builds up as dead cell layers, constituting each strand of hair. Proper hydration and nourishment is essential to maintain the longevity of these keratin layers.
Clusters of hairs found entangled in combs, brushes or on clothes daily after combing, brushing or bathing indicates hair loss.
The underlying causes behind hair loss are -
1. Under nutritious diet
3. Serious or chronic illness
4. Disturbance of hormonal balance post pregnancy and menopause
5. Drugs and certain medications
The efficacy of herbs in treating hair loss is beyond any doubt and that too with the common garden herbs. Other rare and Chinese herbs also are widely used in treating this problem.
1. Massaging the scalp with coconut oil or mustard oil thrice a week improves the blood circulation around the follicles and prevents hair loss.
2. Brahmi herb is rich in anti oxidants and provides the required nourishment to the roots.
3. Drinking lettuce and spinach juice aids in healthy growth of hair. The same effect can be obtained by drinking a mixture of alfalfa, carrots and lettuce juice.
4. Chamomile herb helps in maintaining the water balance in the scalp and prevents it from dehydration. It drives away the dandruff and revitalizes the scalp.
5. Application of a mixture of coconut oil and lime juice regularly is beneficial in treating this condition.
6. Applying packs prepared from powdered henna, amla, basil leaves and lime juice on the scalp reduces the problem of hair loss.
7. Drinking anti stress tea prepared by mixing equal proportion of Brahmi and Jatamamsi 2-3 times daily helps in reducing this problem.
8. Tea prepared from marshmallow and burdock hydrates the hair are prevents the loss.