Following are some of the simple tips to prevent depression:
- Take light foods that are easy to digest.
- Avoid hot foods, oily foods, spicy foods and pulses like Bengal gram.
- Restrict your intake of meats and milk products during bouts of depression.
- Patient should be given balanced diet rich in green vegetables, fruits, grams, brown rice, wheat flour, fresh juice (all these are rich in Vitamin B), etc
- Avoid too much intake of caffeine, chocolates; beverages, junk and fried foods Patient suffering from depression should stay away from these unhealthy foodstuffs.
- Vitamin C is anti depressant so include lots of vitamin C in your diet. Some fruits rich in Vitamin C are amla (Indian gooseberry), lemons, oranges, etc.
- Do regular exercises. It plays an important role in reducing depression. Exercises not only keep the body physically and mentally fit, but also provides happiness and mental relaxation.
- Yoga is also very effective in the treatment of depression. It makes both body and mind healthy and strong. Yoga and meditation both have important role in making people mentally strong and healthy from inside.
- Patient suffering from depression should indulge in activities that make him happy, he should talk, play and involve in other activities with other people. This way he will stay away from the depressing atmosphere he has made around himself.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for depression:
- You can try this natural and simple home remedy for depression. Take 20-30 rose petals and put them in a glass of water and boil it for 15 minutes. Allow the mixture to stand and cool it. Take this mixture 2-3 times a day. Rose petals are believed to be very effective in reducing depression.
- Asparagus (Shatavari) root is commonly used in the treatment of depression. Grind its root into the powered form and give it to the patient 1-2 times a day.
- Another simple home remedy for depression is lemon herb. Take 25-30 grams of lemon herbs and put it into cold water. Allow it to stand for 12-14 hours. This ointment can be used 2-3 times a day.
- Natural fruits have significant role in keeping us fit and strong. Apart from it they help in several other ways. Apple helps in reducing depression. It contains minerals like phosphorus, potassium and is rich in vitamins. Add pieces of apple in milk with 1-2 tablespoon of honey and give it to the patient suffering from depression.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for depression:
- Ashwagandha is very effective herb in reducing stress and depression. It has the requisite properties to remove negative thoughts from the mind.
- Cardamom is also used in relieving stress and depression. It has a very pleasing odor which can soothe the nerves. You can prepare a tea by putting cardamom in it.
- Another common herb used in treating depression is Brahmi. It helps to relax the mind and bring it to a comfortable state. Its oil has a cooling and soothing effect on the mind. Its regular use can prevent the person from feeling depressed.
- Turmeric has very curative property. It is also effective in treating depression that is caused by the change of seasons, i.e. seasonal affective disorder.
- Guggul improves the nervous coordination and hence is useful in the treatment of depression. It is more effective in depression caused due to seasonal affective disorder.
- You can also try Jatamansi herb. It helps in bringing calm effect on the mind and removes the depressive thoughts.