Bad breath actually happens with bacteria living in the mouth. These bacteria decompose the residues of the food, releasing sulfur. Bad breath is a result of this liberation of sulfur. The regions in which the bacteria live could be in the interspaces between the teeth, in the cavities of the teeth or on the tongue. In extreme cases, there could be pus formation in the gums that causes severe offensive odor. It is an extremely embarrassing problem that is actually present in most people over the world today.
Following are the major bad breath causes:
- Poor gums
- Non chewed food trapped between teeth
- Eating greasy food
- Garlic and onion rich food
- Dental problems like
- Cavity in a tooth
- Poor digestive or respiratory system
Following are the major bad breath symptoms:
- Bad smell coming from the mouth
- Bad taste in mouth
Following are some of the simple tips to prevent bad breath:
- Brush your teeth properly twice a day and after taking any greasy or garlic-rich food. Also don't forget to clean your tongue.
- Avoid stress and wrong food habit as they are also the major causes for bad breath.
- Always eat proper balanced food at proper time. Include all the essential, nutritional food items like green vegetables, fruits, carrots, celery, grams, less oily food, cereals in your diet.
- Avoid junk food, as they not only affects various parts of the body like heart, lungs, it also produce bad breath in the mouth.
- Avoid oily or junk food as they dry the mouth and produce sticky material on the tongue which results in bad breath.
- Take fluid in good quantity, this not only will keep the digestion process perfect, but also will prevent the mouth from drying. This will help in preventing bad breath.
- Do not to take any fluid like water, juice when you are eating your meal. Drinking water or any other fluid during taking meal weaken the digestion process inside the body and result in several problems including bad breath. So drink after 15-20 minutes of taking your meal.
- Another important thing that helps in preventing this problem is brushing your teeth with margosa twigs. It has lots of medicinal property and stops tooth decay and bad breath.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for bad breath:
- Take half liter water and put it to boil. Add a teaspoon of fenugreek seed to it and boil at medium or low flame for 10-20 minutes. Strain away all the seeds and drink this tea 3-4 times a day. It is an effective home remedy for bad breath.
- Apple is also an important fruit to prevent bad breath. Chewing it after meal, will keep the mouth fresh, and takes out all the trapped foods lying between teeth.
- Chew mint leaves, cloves, etc. to get rid of this problem. All these will keeps the mouth wet and fresh. You can also chew sunflower seeds. In fact it is a wonderful natural remedy for bad breath.
- One of the common remedy for this problem is guava. It contains some of the useful chemical like oxalic acid, malic acid, and minerals like calcium, manganese. All these chemicals are helpful for gums and teeth, avoids bad breath, make teeth strong, and prevent them from bleeding.
- Add finely chopped parsley leaves in 1-2 glass of water. Boil it for 15-20 minutes. Add 3-4 cloves to it and boil it for some time with constant stirring. Strain it and bring it to lukewarm temperature and gargle two to three times a day. It is very effective remedy for bad breath.
- Prepare a solution by adding 1 tablespoon of freshly prepared lemon juice to 1-2 glass of water. Rinse your mouth with this solution for 2-3 times a day. This will keep you fresh and avoid bad breath.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for bad breath:
- One of the important remedy for bad breath is babul. Simply chewing on the fresh bark of the babul tree will make the teeth stronger and prevent any bad breath that is emanating from them.
- Another useful herbal remedy is chewing a few leaves of the holy basil. It will treat all kinds of mouth infections including bad breath.
- Another useful remedy for bad breath is pepper. It is considered as an excellent agent in treating foul breath. A poultice of pepper is made with rock salt and rubbed on the teeth. When this is done on a daily basis, it will control almost all kinds of oral and dental problems.
- Clove is also the most commonly used herb in dental treatments. It is an essential ingredient of all medicated toothpastes. Due to its pungent taste, it cures the kapha vitiation which will eventually fight the bad breath.