Backache is the disease that afflicts any region of the vertebral column or the associated muscles. It is basically a collection of various types of pains of the vertebral column. These kinds of pains are more common in older ages. Though there are no gender specifics, it may be a bit more in men than in women.
Following are the major backache causes:
- Joint pain
- Muscular pain
- Improper diet
- Eating junk food
- No physical activities
- Improper functioning of kidney
- Obesity, influenza
- Irregular menstrual cycle in women
- Too much physical labor
- Sitting long hours in a same posture
- Wearing high heel shoes
- Sleeping in a wrong posture
- Excess mental stress
Following are the major backache symptoms:
- Pain in the lower and middle portion of the back
- Pain around hips and waist
- Reduced flexibility of spine
Following are some of the simple tips to prevent backache:
- Avoid overexertion. A person who is not accustomed to heavy lifting should not try to carry too much at a time.
- Take diet consisting of a salad of raw vegetables such as tomato, carrot, cabbage, cucumber, radish, lettuce and at least two steamed or lightly cooked vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, spinach and plenty of fruits, all except bananas.
- Lift with legs, not the back. Bend your knees whenever you wish to pick up something heavy. Keep the back straight.
- Avoid fatty, spicy, and fried foods; curd, sweetmeats and sugar; condiments; and tea and coffee.
- It is advisable to eliminate pulses from the diet. Also reduce rice intake. Food grains such as wheat, millet and sorghum are better.
- Exercise regularly. Don’t overdo exercise. Taking a moderate amount regularly will do more good than strenuous exercise on rare occasions.
- Change your sitting position frequently. Avoid cramped sitting positions that bring on fatigue. Shuffle your position often. Keep flexible.
- Instead of sleeping on a soft mattress, you should use a hard mattress.
- Use ergonomic chairs in your workplace. Take care that the chair makes contact with the spine fully when you sit on it.
- Taking Vitamin C rich food daily will helps in curing backache. Patient should eat citrus fruits like orange.
- Avoid smoking, consuming alcohol, chewing tobacco, and other narcotics.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for backache:
- Eat 2-3 garlic cloves every morning. It is an effective home remedy for backache.
- Add common salt to the freshly prepared lemon juice and drink it. This freshly prepared lemon juice has a magical effect in curing backache.
- Take 1 gram of pure asafetida and mix it with egg yolk. Apply this paste on the affected spinal region. This will give you a quick pain relief, but it is a temporary method.
- Mix 2-3 pieces of cardamom in warm milk. Add a pinch of turmeric in it and drink it every night before going to sleep. You will get an immense relief in the morning.
- Another common home remedy for backache is using potato. In this, raw potato is spread over a thin cotton cloth and covered again with another piece of cloth. Then this is kept over the effected area. It will give you the relief from back pain.
- Take small amount of bishop weed (ajwain seeds) and put it in a small cloth. Put this bundle on already heated container, and let the bundle get heated. Apply it over the back. It will give you immediate pain relief.
- Mix equal proportions of limestone and honey. Apply this paste on the affected region. It is also a good remedy for backache.
- Put two teaspoons of cumin seed powder in a glass of water and warm the solution. Soak a towel in this solution and then use it to foment the affected parts. You will get relief within a couple of hours.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for backache:
- Take 8-9 garlic cloves and add in a mustard oil, sesame oil or coconut oil. Heat the oil for some time at low flame. Cool the mixture and apply it over the affected area by massaging and keep for 3-4 hours. Take bath in warm water after the massage. It is one of the most effective herbal remedies for backache.
- Mix lemon grass with twice its bulk of coconut oil and apply it externally on the affected regions. This is helpful in easing pains.
- Another important herbal remedy for backache is betel. Mix the juice of the betel leaves with refined coconut oil. Apply this juice on the loins. It will give you relief from the sudden pains.
- Guggul is also an effective herbal remedy for backache. Eat half teaspoon twice a day after meals with warm water.
- Consume the pulp of a single leaf of aloe on a daily basis. It will provide you relief from backache problems.
- Another important natural remedy for backache is eucalyptus oil. A self-massage with eucalyptus oil is helpful in easing back pain. You can also use mustard oil in place of eucalyptus oil.